Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Easter Weekend

Here are a few "non-traditional" photos in honor of a "non-traditional" Easter Sunday of sorts. Actually, we did get to go over to Aunt Ellen's for a yummy lunch with ham, turkey, green beans and many other treats, but our Littles* are so much older and the New Littles** couldn't be there this time......so, since McKenna is in the "I'm probably too old to hunt Easter Eggs, but it's still a lot of fun" stage, I hid eggs for her in the front of our yard. Turns out Andrea is in the same "stage" and hunted eggs with her. It was fun to watch them.
*Our Littles were first Logan and Dalton, Andrea and McKenna, then Emily
**New Littles are Nicholas and Layla and now new little Aydan....who'll be ready for next year :o)



Fortunately for us, Easter Weekend included Good Friday which also meant an extra day off of school. A three day weekend allowed me a long overdue chance to just play in the studio. Artist (that I adore) Donna Downey encourages us to "just play" in our Inspiration Journal at least once a week....so I caught up on 5 weeks worth!

Okay, if I really was any kind of a "real artist" it would have occurred to me that I could use watercolor and acrylic paint together with the acrylic resisting the watercolor. So I played....
Liked the flowers until I added the black marker, but liked playing with the green and blue watercolor.....green was too high, but still fun.....it's just play :o)

I was still struggling w/ stems, but I liked this one okay. It is still only the first layer and is ready for more when the inspiration hits me.

With this one, the background had been done earlier....waiting for inspiration. I was very happy with these colors and the stems are better......I did do the marker first this time.

The red fabric was left over from a previous play date, but I totally had lots of fun with the stems this time....in fact, so much fun I used the same technique to make the grass. I started with green card stock, stamped it with a text stamp using StazOn and then watercolored that with 2 to 3 different shades of green......again, lots of fun on that......did the watercolor in the background and got the right height for the green this time.

And finally, this was my favorite and my last piece of the weekend. The hand is all wrong and it's not an original idea, I saw something similar in a magazine, but I still love it. The blue and green watercolor in the background was just right; I stamped the flowers; used acrylic in the flowers; I watercolored on the cut flowers; stamped on the paper for the dress; and used pink tissue paper for the dress ruffle......This had several layers and that's the way I like it.
Here's to another play date in the future!
Love,
Melle

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely flowers! Adorable art by the kids! Thanks for the slide show, it looks so professional, I'm in awe!

Nice Easter photos of the girls. Was there candy or money in the eggs?

I can't get over the variety, freshness and colors of the children's art! You rock!

Y.M.

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures of the girls from Easter and the artwork!

Rest will be coming soon!

Gram G

Anonymous said...

LOVELY! simply lovely! I'm so amazed at what you've accomplished this year...and the studio must look just about as clean as it did on day number one! LOL!

Glad you got breakfast in bed, managed to finish launderies and still found time for a NEW POST! But wait I am posting to the old post. LOL! Love, Y.M.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails