Sunday, May 29, 2011

It's {almost} summertime!!!!!

It's that glorious time of year when the girls are all done and I have just a few work days left.....school's out and let summertime begin!

(quick note: I clearly have fallen right into this "got nothin' else to do" state of mind, 'cuz I have spent hours and hours trying to redesign the blog. I've spent hours looking for photos to create a new banner and can't find them. ARGH! Frustrating. I hope I don't piddle away the rest of my summer like this.)

My grandpa liked tell the story of the first time I said grace at a table of some, apparently very important people. He would say that he was so proud when I was done, that when he sat up he "popped a button right off of his shirt".

Well, I don't remember that moment that way, I was scared to death and certainly don't remember any flying buttons!

But as a parent I can relate to feeling so very, very proud of her young-ins this week that I could just burst!

Our high school only invites underclassmen to awards ceremonies if they are receiving an award...fortunately this is Andrea's second year of high school and her second award. Last year she received an award from her science teacher. This year, an award from her art teacher! Scott had to work, but he was quick to text back "fixed, rigged" when I texted him the news! :0) teehee.

(Sorry, this pic was taken on my cell phone, but I like the blur....sort of expresses the excitement in the room.)

Grandma and Grandpa could be there and we are grateful.
That was Monday night.
Thursday was McKenna's awards, of which every student gets something, but oh my little one; she got some biggies...

Citizenship all year; A/B Honor Roll all year; Principal's List all year and Perfect Attendance!

Watch out, buttons might fly!

Grandpa had to work this time, but daddy could be there and we are grateful.

However, the girls weren't quite done with their accolades; Andrea won a candy bar wrapper design contest and came home with a gift card for $15 to our local ice cream store. McKenna comes home with not one but two letters. The first one is inviting her to participate in a new Video Production Club and her second letter was from the Rotary Club letting her know that they have awarded her with a $50 savings bond for her Principal's List and Perfect Attendance!
And finally, on Florida's FCAT testing, we know Andrea received a 5 in writing (6 is the highest possible score) and we are still very anxiously waiting for Andrea's reading and math scores. In the meantime, we do know that McKenna received a 4 in Reading and a 5 in math. (5 is the highest possible score.)

On the last day, McKenna took one final gift to her classroom teacher Mrs. Rohn and one to her aftercare teacher, who was phenomenal, Mrs. Spencer. We filled a summer beach pale with sunscreen, flip-flops, a magazine, a cool new cup to drink from, some favorite candy and a Beach Boys CD. I thought they turned out cute.

And so, on this long Memorial weekend, I have crafted some, slept some and blogged some. We swim tomorrow and hopefully begin to look like a Floridian instead of an Eskimo with my white skin!
Have a wonderful Holiday everyone.
And here's to one wonderful summer with you!!!!!!!
Love Melle

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL NEWS! And I love your blog's new look! WOW! Very summery, happy & lively!

I'm so thrilled for the awards the girls brought home, wish I could have been there too.

I must ask McKenna if I can borrow $50. Just kidding!

Andrea's art award--that's wonderful, and not too surprising, consdiering her talent and sense of self-expression through painting and writing.

See you tomorrow!

Love,
Y.M.

Yvonne said...

Love it! It looks really good!
By the way...congrats to the girlies on their achievements! Give Miss McKenna a high five from me! Hug.

Anonymous said...

It is with great pride that I read about some amazing young women, Andrea and McKenna.

It is not surprising! They come from great genes on both sides of the family.

Thanks to the amazing woman who writes this great blog, Melle.

With pride, love, and admiration,
Grandma

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails