While among friends, colleagues and acquaintances for dinner last night, the conversation came up among one of them about how they were so frustrated about how Christmas for their children had become about "the things they got" and about how they (her children) had lost the magic and weren't willing to help w/ the traditional activities of the holiday season. I've been reflecting a lot about that conversation and can appreciate where she is coming from, but in looking back on this holiday, I think it was everything I was hoping for and then some. While the girls did get gifts, I think they were chosen with care and they are ones they will remember for a lifetime. Again, I do appreciate the conversation from last night, because I do want to be careful about what I'm teaching my children "the holiday" is about and I want to be careful about the messages I am sending. I still certainly have room for improvement and I hope I look back at the entry in about a year and remember these thoughts. It's just McKenna is now 8, it may be the last really magical year for her, Andrea is 15, soon she'll want to spend the day with others (perhaps a boyfriend - ack! I know hard to believe, but it will happen) and then she'll be on her own in a blink of an eye.
I wanted to share a few more photos from our magical day and again, thank the good Lord for all of our blessings. And if you are reading this today, please know that we love you and am so grateful for the blessing of YOU!

McKenna received this beautiful dollhouse from Santa. It sure was a very special elf who helped make this possible!

McKenna also received her second American Girl doll from Santa. She was so happy.

Andrea has wanted the American Girl doll, Addy for years, Santa brought it to her this year. I love this moment when sisters were playing w/ their dolls. :o)

Santa also brought Andrea a "netbook" (a teeny-tiny laptop)....for her studies :o) ....... Andrea does have to work w/ PowerPoint for school a lot and has to use the internet for research almost daily. I think this well be very helpful to her. They are so light weight, it's amazing. You can carry them anywhere! Andrea is also sporting her new furry boots from mommy and daddy - she loves them.
No comments:
Post a Comment