Okay, what it really boils down to is, I am a "wanna be writer". The truth is, thoughts that come to me fluent enough to write only come in occasional spurts and I have been desperately waiting for those spurts to come my way.
They still haven't.
And yet you still demand.
Okay, actually I'm VERY flattered and don't mind your nagging at all.
So here we go.....
(by the way, all photos are still unedited, sorry!)
(and this post is very, very, very long, sorry!)
We arrived JFK Airport Thursday morning at 8:05 on June 9th. Scott's friend (Patrick)'s future wife (Beata) was able to pick us up at the airport. She was so kind and wonderful; she took us back to their place (while Patrick was at work) introduced us to her mother and aunt who were here from Poland (who I also loved, so kind, so friendly) and helped acclimate us to our surroundings there in Queens.
After having a huge breakfast at this wonderful little diner
(which Scott and I loved and ate almost everyone of our meals at)we were on our way to "The City".
First though,
came the subway.
I'll reflect on that some more in a later post.I still haven't recovered from that experience yet and am not ready to talk about it.
Manhatten!
When we surfaced from the subway station, smack in the middle of "it all", it was so overwhelming, but everything was also moving so fast that if you didn't move you'd surely get run right over. Therefore, there just aren't many pictures from this experience. Everyone and everything around us was moving so fast, and Scott was on a mission, I truly was hanging onto his hand for dear life. When we "found" Ground Zero, I admit I was disappointed. I can understand that the memorial fountain is still under construction and the new single tower they are building is still under construction, but there still wasn't a single place one could go to scope it all in. If you didn't know better, it just looked like another place in New York City where they were doing construction.
Even being there, I tried to grasp the enormity of this event and of course I couldn't.
I did catch this photo of the skyline where the two towers must have stood; where they must have normally filled that space.
It was extremely hot on this day and all the walking that this over-weight, out of shape, middle-aged lady was doing was wearing me out. After Ground Zero we were on the look-out for Battery Park ( I think) which I don't believe we really found, but we did find this park, Roosevelt Park, that was very nice.
I was a little disappointed in this as well. I imagined it to be a lot bigger.....however, we were probably also still very far away.

"Beer Guy, getchya beer here" {only say it with the thick Bronx accent} "Beeya Guy, getchya beeya hereya"!I liked the Beer Guy. I liked what he had to offer. No Coors Light, but tall and cold, I'll take it!
Scott did too.
Later, turns out. They did begin the game at 10:00, it didn't get over until after 1:00 and The Yankees lost. (Michele says "yeah", Scott says "boo").
Friday, June 10th.
Scott's friend Patrick is an assistant district attorney for the city of Queens. He said he'd been in court all week and was giving his summation on Friday and that we were welcome to come watch.
Wow. What an education for me!
Patrick walks to work. That's the courthouse where he works.Already I was overwhelmed.
I had no idea what to expect.
It's probably a good thing 'cuz had I known I'd probably been too scared to go.
Turns out, this was the very end of a case the jury had been listening to for four weeks.
It was a murder trial.
A gang murder trial.
There were 5 defendants; five defense attorneys.
And there was the prosecution; there was Patrick. He was amazing.
His calm demeanor; his ability to articulate the facts clearly and his expertise with PowerPoint, left all 5 of those defense attorneys screaming for mistrial the moment the jury left the room.
It really was something to see.
After being in the courtroom for five straight hours, I was ready for something to cheer me up.
After a slice a New York pizza pie, we headed back to the room freshened up again and headed back into The City. (hmmm,hmmm, subway)
It was time for my "wishlist" and you all know that meant LION KING ON BROADWAY!!!!
Did you hear me? Lion King, Lion King on BROADWAY in NEW YORK CITY!!!!!!!
And then, to get to go with the young, handsome, talented, so smart, so kind, so thoughtful former 2nd grade student of mine.........I just couldn't wait!
So, here is the "BEFORE" circa about May of 1994
(I think. Anyway, a long time ago.)
Mrs. Broaderick and Khristian on his 2nd grade awards dayAnd now, "PRESENT DAY" at Rockefeller Center.
After the show, Khristian showed me the largest Disney store I've ever seen.
It was truly a magical night.
Saturday morning, June 11th, I still had one more stop on our list of things to do, so it was back into The City,
(yep, subway, damn)
We got in, we got out and headed back to the hotel (subway, put me in a rubber room, plz)
to rest and relax before The wedding, the very reason we came to New York in the first place. Everything else was a perk.
Wow, the place was very nice and there was lavender everywhere. It looked beautiful
Speaking of beautiful and lavender, I thought I'd share with you what Andrea painted for Patrick and Beata. She wrote on the back "May your love bloom".
I'm a proud momma.
Well, that's it for tonight.
What has taken you several minutes to read has taken me several hours to post.
But there you have it and I am grateful you asked.
I am grateful to have journaled the experience so I'll always be able to remember.
Love to you,
Melle
2 comments:
Just fantastic! I'm so taken by the photos -- how did you keep yourself together to get them all?!
Loved the photos of you and Khristian best of all. And you have grown shorter, but otherwise are the same & pretty as ever!
Kristian just got stretched out a bit over the past decade or so.
Presidents of the USA should tower over their 2nd grade teachers, I always say.
Don't forget to post pic's of your NEW STUDIO area!
Love,
Y.M.
Photos of New York are great! I think your experience was really an enjoyable one other than the subway. I guess for every great time there has to be a little pain, the subway. All in all a beautiful trip for you and Scott, sort of a pre-anniversary trip. So glad you got to go to the Lion King on Broadway and able to sit through the whole show.
Andrea's painting was beautiful and so thoughtful.
Thanks for the wonderful blog!
Love, Grandma
Post a Comment