so this seemed as good as time as any to finally fill you in on my silly camera lens story:
I never dreamed of myself being a teacher...yet, here I am
I never dreamed of myself being a writer...yet, here I am
What I always did dream of myself as is a photographer.
I've never thought myself great at any of the above, but I did always think I could hold my own when it came to taking pictures.
From experience I have learned that I am not cut out to be a wedding photographer because there are no “retakes” at a wedding.
It’s too much pressure. There is only one chance to get it right.
Well, as I learned a few weeks ago, apparently I’m not cut out to be a sports photographer either! And turns out, for the same reasons listed above – there are no “do overs”, there are no “mulligans”.
My camera has two lenses; one I call the regular lens and one I call the telephoto lens.
Now I seldom use the “regular” lens ‘cause I like to “fill the frame” with my subject. I guess it’s a style. Anyway, it’s something I picked up during my short time in photography school.
Well, I was photographing Andrea’s first meet. Of which she had three races and two were the butterfly stroke. This would also be the first time she’d ever done butterfly in competition.
I waited patiently for her turn. I was ready and in position.
Buzzzzz, a racing dive and she was off.
I kept zooming in my lens…..and zooming….and not getting very far.
I was snapping, but still swearing in between each shot. I just couldn’t get close enough…..I just couldn’t “fill the frame”.
I swore I would be on the internet that night…..I was ready to buy myself a new….a new and bigger lens…..the kind that ‘causes “lens envy” if I had to, but this was ridiculous!
Here was my best shot.
And here is my best shot after Photoshop.

Thank God for a 10 megapixil camera.
Thank God for Photoshop.
And thank God I didn’t buy a “new lens”,
because all I needed to do was switch from my regular lens to my telephoto lens!
What an idiot!
I am happy to share that day Andrea finished her very first 100m butterfly in 5th place….not last, but in 5th.
The following week, she place 3rd and then she did it again just last week! Third place! That’s only two away from first!
Now, I’m not competitive and I’m not a swimmer, but that butterfly has to be just about the hardest stroke I’ve ever tried.
I couldn’t be more proud; I’m just bustin’ at the seams! :0)
Love to all!
Melle
1 comment:
What a great revelation! LOL! And to think you almost bought a new lens!
Delightful shot of Andrea! I'm so proud of her too. The butterfly is so exhausting a stroke. Hurray for our winner!
Love,
Y.M.
Post a Comment