Sunday, August 8, 2010

Also wanted to share...

There were a few more tidbits left from summer that I meant to share:
As you may recall, during our visit to Boston and the surrounding areas, I did not care for the interstate driving and I ESPECIALLY did not care for The Tobin Bridge which linked us from the suburb of Chelsea to the city of Boston. Not that I'm not grateful that it was well constructed and not that I can't appreciate the engineering genius it must have taken to create it, HOWEVER for those of us with a fear of heights AND closed in spaces, The Tobin Bridge was not for me.
The bridge also inspired my mom to some creative genius of her own, enjoy:

July 18, 2010
As promised, here is a draft of the marvelous folk song that I composed:

Tobin Bridge
Never driving Tobin Bridge no more
Could have crashed, and that's for sure,
If you've never been there,
You'd better never try.
Got three levels owned by devils
Three tiers to the sky
All they did was bring me down
Too scared to even cry.
Boston town's amazing
And that is no surprise,
Buildings rise before your eyes
At Tobin tunnel's end.
Stay in your lane and don't complain
An easy way to go insane
Can't make left turns anyway,
I'd rather die with hell to pay.
Never driving Tobin Bridge no more
Could have crashed, and that's for sure,
If you've never been there,
You'd better never try.

By Margi Guthrie Boston

Yep, that 'bout sums it up. I promise to never mention of it again! :o)

About two weeks later, the family and I took a trip of our own to just over the Florida border to a theme park called Wild Adventures in Valdosta, Georgia. Even though it was as hot as I imagine hades to be, we really had a good time.(Of course the water park helped with that issue!) This family photo was taken as we entered the park. I never had any intention of ever really buying this photo, but I just couldn't resist the convenience of having a photographer ready to take a picture when my family was.

And then the photographer said, "okay, a silly one" and this is what we did.

I can't pinpoint why, but I loved the pictures and bought BOTH photos as we left the park.
Wild Adventures; a park we really enjoyed.
Now, please don't go and expect it to be Disney, 'cause it's not. But there were no lines, we walked onto everything and best of all, everyone was very, very nice (despite the heat).

And, I couldn't let the summer slip away without mentioning one of my most favorite things about it.
Do you remember how I mentioned how one amazing person can have such an influence over your child? Well, Kendra girl, I am so grateful you are part of our lives. Last summer and this, Kendra got a few wonderful little girls together for An American Girl book club. Last years books (and Kendra) led us to butterfly farm and alighthouse. This year our book inspired us to have a lemonade stand (and thank goodness for the bake sale, too!). The girls planned to donate any proceeds to "stuff the bus", a local charity that helps children who are in need of school supplies. We never imagined through the help of friends, family and complete strangers the girls would collect $350 dollars in two hours!

The girls got to give their donation yesterday; I couldn't have been more proud.

One person truly can make such a difference.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails