We all made it through the first day of school. Of course, it didn't go w/out at least a glitch or two, but I'd like to say that we three gals handled our potential set backs very well.
I started at 4:30, Andrea started at 5:10 and McKenna started at 5:30.....all was going very well; everyone dressed; food warmed and ready for school lunches and everyone fairly cheerful considering the hour of the day. We even had time to take our "first day of school photo" actually on the first day this year and nobody felt rushed. So off we were out the door.....Andrea was not two steps onto the front porch and the strap of her new backpack totally seperated at the shoulder resulting in a giant "thud" upon the porch. Poor Andrea, I couldn't believe it and I totally expected some emotional reaction....there was none. She just asked for safety pins.....I knew this was not going to hold the 30 lbs of bookbag, however, since she wasn't upset and was willing to fix the problem herself, I went w/ it........
McKenna then was just to the car w/ arms full of school supplies, backpack and lunchbox when the ginormous bottle of hand sanitizer she especially picked up for her favorite music teacher, fell to the ground and of course the little snazy pump thingy snapped right off! By now, I was totally expecting a meltdown (esp. me if not her) but she handled it all very well. She even said, "here Mom, it's okay, I can put it back together."....and again, I knew it wasn't possible, but I went w/ it since she seemed willing to work with it.
And so, we are finally on the way, when (fortunately) we weren't out of the neighborhood when Andrea remembered that she forgot her frozen bottle of water for swim practice.....all was okay since we were still running ahead of schedule......turned out for the best......Andrea thought better of her safety pins and just grabbed an old backpack from last year......and McKenna thought better of her broken bottle and we opted for a smaller bottle of sanitizer that we had at home.
After all that......smooth sailing........! :o)
May I wish you "smooth sailing" on your first days back.
Love,
Melle
1 comment:
Oh, priceless!
Sometimes, things go arwy and turn out for the best and sometimes, there is time to fix them. I cannot envision Andrea with safety pins on her backpack strap.
Or giving a teacher a broken bottle of hand cleaner.
How about YOUR day?
love,
Y.M.
Post a Comment