Sunday, August 29, 2010

AWWWWW

Awwwww, finally, finally doing one of the things I look forward to all week (and frankly, I didn't think I was going to make it this week).......I love the part of this crazy back to school routine where I sit down in my studio on Sunday afternoons; when I sometimes catch up on reading blogs, E-mails or Facebook, when I might work on lesson plans for the week or the bills (yuck), and hopefully, if things are really going well I write my weekly post for this blog, my classroom blog and update my classroom webpage......that's when things are going really well.

I like to get here about 2:00, but today it is almost 4:00, so we'll see how much I get to do.
This afternoon I have all the above to hopefully catch up on (except maybe Facebook - haven't read that for weeks) AND a card I need to make and a canvas I want to start.

Reflecting on the week, well the beginning was pretty rough going however, thanks to a good friend from work who watched McKenna for a few hours and to the gals at this AMAZING scrapbook store in The Villages called SHE Scrapbooks (wink), my week ended wonderfully!!

I had the chance to take classes Friday night and Saturday morning with The Glitz Girls and LOVED it!
On the first mini-album we made we actually used corrugated cardboard for the front and back cover.

Not that I don't think this is really, really cool to do, I just think it is so ironic that when I joined this scrapbook hobbie over 10 years ago a responsible memory keeper wouldn't even let their photos touch anything that wasn't "acid and lignin free". I even remember a company marketing gloves to scrapbookers so the oils from their hands wouldn't get on the photos (not just the negatives, but the photos as well) and now look at the trend! "Grunge" is the buzz word. Everything we touch is sanded or inked to make it look old or "vintage".......so funny. Makes me wonder what we'll do in another 10 years?? (Let's just hope chopping up our photos with Fiskars paper edgers NEVER happens again!)

The second mini-album we worked on was taking an old hardback book and embellishing it. You could tell that all participants of the workshop were trained well, because when we were told to rip pages out of our book, there was a collective gasp! Ginger, our teacher, said, "it's okay, my mom isn't here" hee, hee, I thought that was so funny! So, the concept is that you tear out pages to make room for the thickness of photos you will place inside. Donna Downey would so recommend that you then just paint right on some of the pages as well! In fact she mentioned it in a recent post. (By the by, her post yesterday was about this new binding machine she just saw at CHA - she loves it - so I want it!)


Okay, so I've rattled and rattled on about how come my week ended well and now five days later, I really don't want to revisit why the beginning was so rough. I'll just share the highlights and I'm sure you can fill in the rest:
Monday - Open House at my school 6:00 - 7:30
Tuesday - Open House at Andrea's school 6:00 - 8:00
Wednesday - Open House at McKenna's school 6:00 - 7:30

Tuesday, the girls and I are in our car by 7:50, actually a few minutes ahead of schedule only to pull away and realize we had a flat tire.....in the rain....I can't find our jack or tire iron.....and no flashlight......oh and Scott is in Orlando at a TNA wrestling match......I believe there was a text from him that read "screamed like a little girl so I could get up front"........
Like I said, from here, I'm sure you can fill in the rest.

Although, I was perfectly ready to have the girls and I sleep in the car until he could pick us up on his way home, luckily I work with some really great ladies who have "not so excited to change a tire in the rain, but I will because my wife asked me to help a friend" husbands.

Okay, an hour later and I can check "updating my blog and two loads of laundry" off my list....I'd better go tackle that other stuff......like lesson plans!

Love to all,
Melle

Wait, just a little advertising from Melle.....you know, sort of an "Melle's current favorites".....like Oprah, she does that sort of thing, right?

  • I so love following the posts on Ree Drummond's website, aka "Pioneer Woman", click here or she is also on my blog list.
  • I so love www.pandora.com . It is like your very own radio station!!! Very cool. Never have I been able to hear so many of my long lost favorite John Denver songs. Woohoo!! So I have turned off the usual music I have attached to this blog so you too can sign on to Pandora and keep your favorite music running in the background!
Peace
Melle

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

So glad your week ended on a good note...we loved that you were able to come and partake in the fun...wish you could do it more. You are gonna have to come to an all day crop and just hang out with us...we miss you. Hope this week will be a much better one. It was a rough one for quite a few of us.

Anonymous said...

Having seen the results and held them in my admiring hands, I can testify that you really have something cool here --in many ways. I like the book idea, though of course, it's a pity to have to ransack a book for what it was, a remaindered or throw away by an obscure author. Try doing it with Leaves of Grass and you might get frowned on.

Love the new era where "grub" goes, and bling + grub = cool!

Y.M.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails